Barcelona’s vice president Jordi Cardoner has told ESPN that his club, along with most other clubs in Europe, will likely be trading rather than buying players this summer. Speaking frankly in an interview quoted by Simon Kuper, the Barca administrator admitted that the club had already lost between €120m and €140m in lost revenue due to the ongoing hiatus. He also asserted that the transfer market was going to be very different this year – and perhaps for a lot longer: “[Player exchanges] will be part of the game. This is the way things will happen for next season for European clubs,” the Spaniard explained.Advertisement Promoted Content15 Extremely Surprising Facts About Disney Princesses10 Irresistibly Gorgeous Asian Actresses10 Extremely Dirty Seas In The WorldThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read More5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made9 Heroes Of Popular Memes Then And NowA Guy Turns Gray Walls And Simple Bricks Into Works Of ArtThe 90s Was A Fantastic Decade For Fans Of Action MoviesWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?6 Most Overpowered Live Action Disney CharactersContemplate Life At These 10 Stargazing Locations Loading… That seems likely, but even then only top teams like Barcelona have the depth and the quality players in their squad to allow them to pull off these kinds of deals. Barcelona vice president Jordi Cardoner Read Also: Setien: Messi, Barcelona will always be together It’s hard to imagine teams lower down the pyramid being able to engage even in simple loan trades. The fact that Barcelona have a stable of young players, like other top clubs, means they have a much stronger hand to work with. The executive also suggested three party deals could become more common as teams desperately look for solutions in a truncated transfer period. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享
“Then I visited the city of Naples, saw the environment with my own eyes and realised that I am in a wonderful city. “(Racism) is a worldwide issue. I’m sure I have chosen well and the Neapolitans will make me feel at home with their love.” Racism has been a recurring problem in Italian stadiums, including monkey noises directed at black players.Last season Brescia’s Italy international Mario Balotelli threatened to walk off the pitch after being targeted at Lazio and Hellas Verona.But Osimhem said he had “always been convinced that Naples was the best choice for me both for the present and for the future.“Both as a man and as a footballer.”Napoli’s Senegalese international defender Kalidou Koulibaly confessed Osimhen had asked him about racism in Italy before joining the club.“He called me, we talked about racism, I told him that coming to Naples he won’t have these problems, he will choose the right city,” Koulibaly told La Gazzetta dello Sport.“I too felt the bitterness of the racist insult, but never in Naples. I reassured him, I told him that if he comes, he will have made the best choice.”Interestingly, Osimhen was one of the most expensive players in Serie A history, costing almost double Napoli’s previous club record of around 40 million euros paid for Gonzalo Higuain in 2013 and Hirving Lozano last year.“Playing with Napoli is a dream,” he said.“I thank (owner Aurelio) De Laurentiis and (coach Gennaro) Gattuso who immediately considered me as their son.“I decided to accept the challenge with Napoli right after speaking with them. Loading… Read Also: Messi speaks out amid Barcelona exit talks“For a young player like me, having this warmth is essential.”Napoli finished seventh in Serie A last season and qualified for the Europa League after winning the Italian Cup, their first trophy in six years.The new Serie A season kicks off on September 19.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Super Eagles forward and Napoli new signing Victor Osimhen admitted on Wednesday he was skeptical of joining the Serie A club because of the racist reputation of some fans in Italy. Napoli splashed out a club record fee of up to 80 million euros ($94.6 million) to sign the Nigeria international from French outfit Lille. “There was a bit of scepticism on my part, because the issue of racism is a problem that exists everywhere,” Osimhen told journalists.Advertisement Promoted Content10 Phones That Can Easily Fit In The Smallest Pocket8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its GrowthA Guy Turns Gray Walls And Simple Bricks Into Works Of Art5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksThe 10 Most Irresistible Asian Actresses7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The Universe10 Phones That Can Work For Weeks Without RechargingCan Playing Too Many Video Games Hurt Your Body?Some Impressive And Almost Shocking Robots That ExistWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?Which Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks
Southampton created the first decent opening when a low centre from Schneiderlin was beaten away by Norwich keeper Mark Bunn, who then tipped over Lallana’s rising 20-yard drive. Norwich were struggling to get hold of the ball in midfield and when right-back Russell Martin did get forward and float in a teasing ball through the penalty area, goalkeeper Boruc got there ahead of Kei Kamara, making his first start since a loan move from Kansas City. Southampton broke quickly on 28 minutes through Rickie Lambert and his onward pass found Gaston Ramirez in space at the edge of the Norwich penalty area, but his attempted chip was palmed out by Bunn as Javier Garrido mopped up the loose ball. Jay Rodriguez burst down the left early in the second half and cut into the penalty area and his cross was cleared by Sebastien Bassong, but the ball fell to Lallana some 12 yards out. However, with the goal at his mercy, the Southampton skipper could only blaze the ball high into the Barclay End. The pace of the match intensified as Japan defender Yoshida produced a superb block to prevent Holt getting on the end of Snodgrass’ cross after a great knockdown by Kamara. At the other end, Snodgrass was played in by Hoolahan, but the ball ran away from the Scotland international as he went around the goalkeeper, which allowed Yoshida to hack clear. There was late drama as Shaw’s nudge on Holt saw Clattenburg give a penalty but Boruc guessed right and earned Southampton a draw. Norwich captain Grant Holt saw his stoppage-time penalty saved as Southampton battled to a goalless draw in atrocious conditions at Carrow Road. Press Association With heavy rain before kick-off being followed by sleet, chances were few and far between. Saints skipper Adam Lallana blasted over when in front of an open goal, while Japan defender Maya Yoshida made vital blocks to prevent Holt and Robert Snodgrass scoring. There was late drama, though, as Luke Shaw was ruled to have pushed over Holt just inside the penalty area, as referee Mark Clattenburg pointed to the spot after consulting with his assistant. Southampton, though, felt justice was served as Artur Boruc produced a decent stop down to his left to secure a point for the visitors.
The US Coast Guard is reporting that it has seized more than $228 million dollars in marijuana and cocaine in an operation at Port Everglades.According to the report, the shipment contained nearly 11,500 pounds of cocaine and nearly 17,000 pounds of marijuana and was offloaded on Thursday.“We are proud to support the President’s national security strategy by keeping illegal drugs off American streets,” Capt. Timothy Cronin said. “I am extremely proud of this crew as they sailed short-handed due to the COVID-19 pandemic an delivered tremendous results.”
GROS ISLET, St Lucia (CMC) – Caribbean Premier League (CPL) organisers have struck an agreement with Cricket West Indies (CWI) which will see the popular domestic Twenty20 tournament revert to the August start date.The tournament, the eighth edition, will be played from August 19 to September 26, ensuring the availability of all West Indies contracted players.“We are very pleased to be playing our tournament in August and September, a time of year that is perfect for us and our fans,” said CPL’s chief operations officer, Pete Russell.“Having the best Caribbean cricketers and the world’s best overseas players is the foundation of our tournament and this period gives us that.“We may be just days away from the 2019 tournament, but we are already making plans for next year to ensure that we continue to see the phenomenal growth and economic impact that CPL has seen over the years.”This year’s tournament was initially carded for August 21 to September 27 but had to be pushed back to accommodate India’s tour of the Caribbean which concluded on Monday.The campaign bowled off yesterday in Port of Spain and will run until October 12.CWI chief executive Johnny Grave said it would be even more critical that all marquee West Indies players were available for the 2020 tournament, especially with the Caribbean side defending their T20 World Cup title in Australia next year.“The Hero CPL has developed into one of the best and most exciting T20 competitions in the world and we look forward to hosting another successful tournament next month,” he said.“We are pleased that we have once again found a window in our international calendar for the 2020 season to ensure that the best West Indian cricketers can take part, as the tournament plays a crucial role in our preparations and planning for the ICC T20 World Cup in 2020.”
Four decades after being built, USC’s Hillel center received renovations last summer after receiving funding from the Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles.Renovations began in early May, after the center hosted an event honoring former USC President Steve B. Sample. Renovations concluded before move-in week in August.The building was very run-down before the improvements, said Michael Jeser, executive director of Hillel. It was filled with donated items and used, torn up furniture. The flooring hadn’t been replaced in more than a decade, which Jeser said caused the building to lack a welcoming, modern atmosphere.“[We wanted] to upgrade the facility, make it more welcoming and open for students,” Jeser said. “[We wanted to] create more of a space that students could use for recreational, social, and academic purposes.”Modernization was a key part in the renovation, Jeser said. New furniture, flooring, glass windows and paint brought a more contemporary atmosphere to the building.“It used to be empty, like a warehouse feel. There were a few couches, but now there are dedicated spaces that students can use for meetings, social activities, and watching movies,” Jeser said.Cameron Roth, USC Hillel student president, said the new additions to the center automatically welcome students and make them feel more comfortable.“The first day people came back, people walked in the door and went straight to these lounge areas. No one used to come over here; it was uninviting,” said Roth, who also said he was glad to see the new wheelchair-accessible ramp at the University Walk entrance.A new drought-tolerant landscape was installed outside in order to help the environment, Jeser said. Other water-saving features were also installed in the bathrooms.“People feel more comfortable coming in with the change to the exterior,” Roth said. “Now people notice the building is here and they want to peek in. Getting them interested on their own is a great way to get them to come to events.”More entertainment and audiovisual equipment have been added as well. A large flat-screen TV greets visitors at the entrance to Hillel, with slideshows of activities and announcements. Two more flat screens occupy the building, and all TVs have Direct TV. Other technology upgrades include free WiFi throughout the building and video surveillance for enhanced security.The Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles, which contributes the most funding to Hillel, played a vital role in the renovation. The Real Estate Principals Organization, which is affiliated with the Jewish Federation and led by USC alumnus Jon Monkarsh, donated $75,000 to help fund the renovations.“It really is with great pride that we have supported Hillel at the federation, and especially the contribute we made to this facility. Not only the financial contribution but the time and the effort we put in,” said Richard Sandler, chairman of the Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles. “Here at Hillel, you are carrying forward really the greatest traditions of our culture, and that is education and values.”The renovation effort was led by USC Hillel Chairman Jaime Gesundheit. Gesundheit, who is an alumnus from the School of Architecture, spearheaded the entire design effort, with assistance from designer Nichole Sassaman.On Wednesday evening, Hillel celebrated the “Extreme Hillel Makeover” with keynote speaker President C.L. Max Nikias. Nikias spoke about the relationship between USC and the Jewish community, and the importance of a strong, vibrant Hillel at USC.“[Hillel] helps our students connect to the rest of the university and the larger world. USC Hillel plays an important role of connecting the students today with the traditions of the past,” Nikias said. “As president of USC I pledge to you that this partnership will continue. This Hillel will flourish.”Members of the USC Board of Trustees — including Dr. Andrew Viterbi, Stanley P. Gold, Kenneth Leventhal, Alan Casden and Daniel Epstein — participated in a Jewish ceremony to celebrate the opening of the newly renovated building.“When people feel comfortable enough to treat this place like a home instead of another university building, that’s when you know Hillel has done its job,” Roth said. “We can provide any amount of programming but nothing beats a home away from home.”
Facebook Twitter Google+ When teams held the ball on offense against Syracuse last season, Gary Gait and Regy Thorpe drummed up the backer defense, a high-pressure zone defense.Natalie Glanell, Liz Harbeson and Kasey Mock — all of whom graduated after last season — played roles in the backer defense, a supplement to SU’s man-to-man defense. The trio relied on verbal and non-verbal communication, as well as growing accustomed to each other’s tendencies.“You got to jump in and commit to getting beat and taking risks and going after players and it’s a difficult transition,” Gait, the head coach, said of the backer defense.But this season, the trio that buoyed SU in its experimentation with the backer defense is gone. It passed the torch to a mix of defenders with just 31 combined starts last season, 22 of which come from Mallory Vehar. Now, SU’s defenders will have to adjust to the backer defense’s nuances and each other.Last season’s veteran defense allowed 8.88 goals per game and forced 8.96 turnovers per game, ranking 25th and 31st in the nation, respectively. SU’s first litmus test comes Saturday in the Carrier Dome in a doubleheader against the Denver at noon and Canisius at 7:30 p.m.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“You kind of have a spot,” Vehar said. “There’s a backer. Everyone’s flying around, it’s chaos. So sometimes it’s hard to know exactly what’s going on.”In the backer defense, a trigger call comes from someone on the field to let SU’s defense know the players are getting into the formation. Defenders can pressure opponents in the zone if an offensive player has the ball because the backer will help on defense. At times, the defense can create double teams, which help cause turnovers.Mock said she thinks the younger players need to learn to stay in the zone even if there aren’t any opponents there.“Sometimes you might not be marking anyone, which feels really uncomfortable,” Mock said, “but you just have to trust that someone’s going to come into your zone.”In man-to-man defense, players break down and try to stop the offensive player, Mock said. In the backer defense, however, it’s OK to get beat at times because the backer is there to help.SU’s defenders will have to use repetition to adjust to the aggressiveness that the zone requires. Over her junior and senior year, Mock used practice to gauge how aggressive she could be, teetering between over- and under-aggressive. Eventually she found a balance.While SU’s defenders have to adjust, Vehar, the backer with the most experience, is still recovering from an ACL injury. She’s still operating at 80–85 percent, Thorpe, an assistant coach said, and may be a few weeks away from returning to the position.Between Vehar’s injury and the loss of the three seniors from last season, emphasis was placed on the fall season to acclimate players to SU’s system. Brenna Rainone and Kathy Rudkin filled in for Vehar in the fall.“We were north of 18, 19 scrimmages in the fall there,” Thorpe said, “so we had a lot of scrimmages, we had play dates on our end.”The fall helped acclimate the younger players, but it can’t quite replicate the two years Mock, Harbeson and Glanell had.For SU, the emphasis will be placed on the next two weeks’ doubleheaders, which will provide in-game experience and allow SU to work in more players than it normally would in the early season. The defense can start building the same relationship last season’s trio had.“Certainly (we) don’t have a ton of starts on that defense, there, but I believe in them,” Thorpe said, “I know they believe in themselves.” Comments Published on February 5, 2015 at 1:23 am Contact Chris: email@example.com | @ChrisLibonati
The recent news that a fringe member of the Monaghan senior football squad has failed a test for a banned steroid has ignited a debate about the level of drug testing in the GAA.Inter-county players are now being asked to undergo blood testing as part of the Irish Sports Council’s anti-doping code.Tipp captain Brendan Maher has expressed reservations about the move saying he wouldn’t like to have a blood test taken on the day of the match, or after a match, because it would drain you so much. However the Borrisoleigh clubman went on to say “you don’t want any cheating going on in the sport either. It is so extreme, you would nearly be conscious of taking a Lemsip the way things have gone.”Looking back on Tipp’s League performance Brendan Maher said they can take confidence from it but can also learn from it going into the Munster Championship campaign.
McIlroy is a two-time winner of the Desert Classic, and would have gone up against another two-time winner next week – Tiger Woods.
Manchester City are set to sign Spain midfielder Rodri from Atletico Madrid for a club record £62.6m after paying his release clause, we the La Liga side.Atletico said that the player’s lawyers and representatives from City paid the release clause to La Liga on Wednesday.Rodri, 23, has therefore terminated his contract with Atletico, which was due to run until June 2023. It will beat City’s previous record of £60m in signing Riyad Mahrez in 2018.Rodri joined Atletico in May 2018 after three years at Villarreal and made 34 league appearances as they finished second in La Liga. He made his international debut in a friendly against Germany last year and has made six senior international appearances.City had made Rodri one of their main targets this summer with manager Pep Guardiola keen to sign a defensively-minded player to bolster the Premier League champions’ squad.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Rodri