Paul Newman’s charity marks 20th anniversary with £20k event at BAFTA

first_img  384 total views,  2 views today AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis2  383 total views,  1 views today About Howard Lake Howard Lake is a digital fundraising entrepreneur. Publisher of UK Fundraising, the world’s first web resource for professional fundraisers, since 1994. Trainer and consultant in digital fundraising. Founder of Fundraising Camp and co-founder of GoodJobs.org.uk. Researching massive growth in giving. Tagged with: Celebrity fundraising events Camper parent Pokuaa Osei-Nyametie was present at the event. She said:“It has been an honour to attend Over The Wall’s 20th anniversary. My daughter attended camp, and as a result became so self-assured – she learnt to love herself. She developed self-value and discovered that, despite her condition, she is alright and that not only can make friends, she can also have a good laugh- she can be a child and she can be silly!”   CEO of the charity, Kevin Mathieson said:“This event has been a wonderful celebration of all the lives that our charity has touched. It has been a great pleasure to look back at the milestones and achievements of the charity, and to hear the voices of those truly impacted by our cause. Since Paul Newman and Joe Woods founded the charity in 1999, we have seen exponential growth, and each year, we aim to grow further and to help more and more children, their siblings and their families cope with serious illness.”  Paul Newman’s charity marks 20th anniversary with £20k event at BAFTA AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis2 In its first year, Over The Wall took just 25 children with cancer to camp. Now the charity caters for over 130 different illnesses, and this year, to celebrate the charity’s 20th anniversary, Over The Wall broke its own records taking over 1,000 children to camp in 2019.   Howard Lake | 18 June 2019 | News Over The Wall, the children’s charity set up by the late Hollywood actor Paul Newman, celebrated its 20th anniversary at the BAFTA building in Piccadilly, London.The charity, which provides therapeutic camps for seriously ill children, welcomed special guests, volunteers, staff and many of the children and families which have benefited from the charity to the event. Joe Woods, who co-founded the charity with Paul Newman, was also there.The evening raised £20,000 through an auction, raffle and donations from guests.Thousands of children with serious illnesses have now experienced the camps, enabling them to “raise a little hell”, as Paul Newman put it.last_img read more

Teen charged with terrorizing ex-fiancé

first_img Teen charged with terrorizing ex-fiancé Twitter Facebook WhatsApp Facebook Pinterest CrimeFelony Arrests WhatsApp Twitter Pinterest An Odessa Police Department probable cause affidavit detailed that a local man was arrested after he pushed his ex-fiancé out of a vehicle she was operating in a public roadway.Josue Delgado-Villa, 18, was charged with terroristic threat, a class A misdemeanor.The reported incident happened at 4:57 p.m. April 18 near the intersection of Golder Avenue and 31st Street, the affidavit stated.Dispatch reportedly advised officers that there was man and woman fighting inside a green Mazda Tribute while in the roadway. Officers arrived and saw Jazmine Casarez sitting in the driver’s seat who stated her ex-fiancée took her cellphone and the keys to her vehicle.Casarez identified her ex-fiancée as Delgado-Villa, the affidavit stated. Casarez said she and Delgado-Villa had been arguing all day. Casarez stated she saw Delgado-Villa walking to her parent’s house, stopped to pick him up and she was taking him to his mother’s house.While driving to Delgado-Villa’s mother’s house, Casarez reportedly told officers she and Delgado-Villa were arguing about ending the wedding. Delgado-Villa reportedly began to grab the steering wheel, began pushing on the gas pedal and began to state that he was going to kill them by causing an accident while she had control of the vehicle.Casarez stated that Delgado-Villa opened the driver’s door and began to try and push her out the door while still driving on the roadway, the affidavit stated. Casarez was transported to Delgado-Villa’s mother’s house due to living there.While at the residence, Delgado-Villa reportedly showed up on his own and was questioned about the incident. Delgado-Villa stated he and Casarez were arguing and he did grab the steering wheel while Casarez was driving just to her to pull over to just talk. Delgado-Villa was asked if he pushed Casarez out the vehicle and he stated that he did, but they were already parked.Delgado-Villa was arrested, charged and transported to the Ector County Law Enforcement Center. He had one bond totaling $2,500 and posted bail on Tuesday, jail records show. By Odessa American – April 21, 2021 Previous articleMan charged with choking common-law spouseNext articleBoard hears raise recommendations Odessa Americanlast_img read more

Residential care staff meet to discuss ‘exploitation’

first_img RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Residential care staff meet to discuss ‘exploitation’ By News Highland – March 10, 2014 Google+ Twitter Pinterest WhatsApp News Previous articleUpdate: Two men arrested in connection with Derry pipe bomb attacksNext articleMan shot in paramilitary attack in Derry News Highland Google+ Twitter Man arrested in Derry on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences released center_img Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry WhatsApp Facebook Pinterest Dail hears questions over design, funding and operation of Mica redress scheme Facebook Dail to vote later on extending emergency Covid powers HSE warns of ‘widespread cancellations’ of appointments next week PSNI and Gardai urged to investigate Adams’ claims he sheltered on-the-run suspect in Donegal A meeting takes place in Letterkenny this evening to discuss what’s described as the exploitation of residential care staff by health employers.The unions IMPACT and SIPTU have called the meeting claiming that residential care staff are routinely expected to work 63 hour weeks, well above the legal maximum of 48 hours.The unions also take issue with the rate of pay to staff for so called sleepover duty.IMPACT organiser Una Faulkner says the current practice is not sustainable:[podcast]http://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/unarawCARE.mp3[/podcast]last_img read more

Arbitrator upholds Mark Ingram suspension

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailChris Graythen/Getty Images(METAIRIE, La.) — New Orleans Saints running back Mark Ingram challenged his four game suspension saying that he tested positive for a substance that was “permissible with the proper use exemption with the NFL.”The NFL reiterated Wednesday that an arbitrator has made a final ruling on the appeal, which is why the league announced his suspension on Tuesday.Ingram’s agents suggested that they may explore further options once they review the arbitrator’s full opinion.The NFL announced that Ingram violated the league’s policy on performance-enhancing substances. The league have not specified which substance Ingram tested positive for. “At the end of the 2017 season, as a result of a NFL mandated random drug test, Mark Ingram tested positive for a substance that was not a performance enhancing substance, nor an illegal substance, but a substance in fact permissible with the proper use exemption with the NFL,” Ingram’s agents, Paul Bobbitt and David Jones, said in the statement.“He has vigorously challenged the test results through the arbitration process. … Upon having the opportunity to review the arbitrator’s opinion, we will explore what further options are needed.”If the suspension stands, Ingram will be eligible to return to the Saints’ active roster on Oct. 1.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved. May 9, 2018 /Sports News – National Arbitrator upholds Mark Ingram suspension Beau Lundcenter_img Written bylast_img read more

Scoreboard roundup — 1/9/20

first_img Beau Lund Written by FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailiStock(NEW YORK) — Here are the scores from Thursday’s sports events:NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATIONPhiladelphia 109, Boston 98Cleveland 115, Detroit 112 — OTMinnesota 116, Portland 102Oklahoma City 113, Houston 92NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUEBoston 5, Winnipeg 4Florida 5, Vancouver 2Edmonton 4 ,Montreal 2NY Rangers 6, New Jersey 3Tampa Bay 4, Arizona 0St. Louis 5, Buffalo 1Nashville 5, Chicago 2Calgary 2, Minnesota 1Los Angeles 5 ,Vegas 2Dallas 3, Anaheim 0San Jose 3, Columbus 1TOP-25 COLLEGE BASKETBALLGonzaga 94, San Diego 50Michigan St. 74, Minnesota 58Oregon 74, Arizona 73Michigan 84, Purdue 78Wichita St. 76, Memphis 67Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.center_img January 10, 2020 /Sports News – National Scoreboard roundup — 1/9/20last_img read more

Report: Seahawks sign WR Tyler Lockett to 4-year extension

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailAbbie Parr(SEATTLE) — Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Tyler Lockett has signed a 4-year, $69.2 million extension with the team, according to an ESPN report. The deal includes $37 million guaranteed.Lockett is coming off of a career year in Seattle, posting personal highs across the board with 100 receptions and 1054 yards in 16 games.Some of Lockett’s teammates took to Twitter to congratulate the 27-year-old on his pay day, including quarterback Russell Wilson.“You deserve it all,” Wilson wrote. “Love you bro!” The homie!!! @TDLockett12 Let’s go!!! You deserve it all! Love you bro! — Russell Wilson (@DangeRussWilson) March 31, 2021 March 31, 2021 /Sports News – National Report: Seahawks sign WR Tyler Lockett to 4-year extension Written bycenter_img Beau Lund Congrats brother, keep setting the right example @TDLockett12 You deserve it. https://t.co/TnWO2u9NeG— Flash (@JOSH_GORDONXII) March 31, 2021Lockett has had a successful career so far with the Seahawks, making the All Pro team as a returner in his rookie season. He’s racked up 5148 yards from scrimmage, along with 38 touchdowns.Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

HMS Dragon, US Fighter Jets Join Forces in the Gulf

first_imgBack to overview,Home naval-today HMS Dragon, US Fighter Jets Join Forces in the Gulf View post tag: Naval View post tag: join Share this article Training & Education View post tag: Dragon View post tag: HMS View post tag: Navy View post tag: Gulf View post tag: forcescenter_img August 21, 2013 A Royal Navy warship and RAF Typhoons have put their skills and technology to the test during a joint exercise.The aircraft joined HMS Dragon and US fighter jets in a training exercise to detect, classify and monitor contacts on the sea’s surface in the challenging conditions of the Gulf.The Type 45 destroyer provides a complementary service to the highly manoeuvrable and effective Typhoon fast jet combat aircraft.One of Dragon’s fighter controllers, Lieutenant Francis Heritage, said:We received the help of a United States Air Force Joint Surveillance Target Attack Radar System (JSTARS) aircraft to cue our fighters onto their targets.The JSTARS surface radar is incredibly powerful. When combined with our own organic sensors and those of the jets under our control, we can provide force protection over a massive area.The American surveillance jet fed information directly into Dragon’soperations room, allowing the destroyer to cue fighter jets – US Marine Corps F/A-18 Hornets, US Air Force F-15 Strike Eagles and the Typhoons of Dragon’s affiliated RAF unit, No 6 Squadron – onto their objectives.Another of Dragon’s fighter controllers, Flying Officer Dave Bowl, said:This is a great example of how the front line units of the Royal Air Force can work hand-in-hand with the Royal Navy’s most capable and advanced warship.Dragon is in the second half of her inaugural deployment, which is a mix of carrying out maritime security operations with the UK’s Gulf partners and contributing to the wider air defence of the region, such as when she joined forces with the USS Nimitz Carrier Strike Group a few weeks ago.[mappress]Press Release, August 21, 2013; Image: Royal Navy HMS Dragon, US Fighter Jets Join Forces in the Gulf View post tag: fighter View post tag: News by topic View post tag: US View post tag: the View post tag: Jetslast_img read more

Northern Foods sees sales slip after fire

first_imgNorthern Foods said this week a fire at its Fletchers bakery in July cost it £5m in lost sales in the first half of its financial year.Chief executive Pat O’Driscoll said Northern Foods is still in discussion with insurers over compensation after the fire burned down a third of the bakery.Speaking after Northern Foods gave a trading update for the 26 weeks to 30 September, O’Driscoll told British Baker that it had had “good interest” from potential buyers of parts of its business. The company put 40% of its business up for sale in May (British Baker, June 2, pg 3), including Fletchers, Smiths Flour Mills and several pastry companies.Northern Foods is also closing its unprofitable Trafford Park savouries bakery in Manchester. A consultation with employees over the plans is now complete and the site is due to close at the end of November, O’Driscoll said (see Friday Essay, pg 13).Northern Foods said in its trading update that sales in its bakery division continued to decline. First half underlying sales in the disposal businesses declined by 6.7%, due to product and site rationalisation, as well as the Fletchers fire.Overall group underlying sales declined by 1.1% on the prior year. Underlying sales in the businesses not up for sale grew by 3.5%.Northern Foods plans to focus on five categories: pizza, biscuits, ready meals, sandwiches and salads, and Christmas puddings when the disposals are completed. Its deadline for that is next May.last_img read more

Trey Anastasio Trio Offers Tour Debuts, Rarities, & Jen Hartswick In NOLA [Video/Photo]

first_imgOn Friday night, the Trey Anastasio Trio continued their three-night run at the Civic Theatre in New Orleans, LA. Fans have been eager to see Trey, drummer Russ Lawton, and bassist Tony Markellis on the road, particularly given the surprise announcement of the trio’s substitution for Trey Anastasio Band tour back in March—this announcement came on the heels of TAB keyboardist Ray Paczkowski’s emergency surgery to remove a brain tumor. The trio is a throwback to the earliest iteration of Trey’s solo band, which came together after the three musicians first played together at a Vermont performance under the moniker 8 Foot Fluorescent Tubes 20 years ago.For the second night of the New Orleans run, Trey Anastasio Trio opened the show with a first set full of fan-favorite Phish tunes like “Blaze On”, “46 Days”, “Tide Turns”, and “Alaska”, as well as Trey Anastasio Band songs “Corona”, “Greyhound Rising”–which had not been played since Trey Anastasio Band’s performance on 5/5/17 at the Egyptian Room at Old National Centre in Indianapolis, IN, after a two year gap–and the live debut of “Every Story Ends In Stone”, a song that had not been played since 2003.Set two opened with “Burlap Sack and Pumps” from The Horseshoe Curve album, and featured TAB’s “Simple Twist Up Dave” and “Alive Again”, marking the another first for the Trey Anastasio Trio. The tour debut of  “Twist”–which had never been given any Trey band treatment outside of Phish–appeared in the second song slot, with versions of Phish’s “Miss You”, “Farmhouse”, and “Julius” also on deck.For the encore, Trey Anastasio Band trumpeter/vocalist Jennifer Hartswick emerged for Phish’s “Waste”, followed by the tour debuts of “Mozambique” and “Clint Eastwood” by the Gorillaz.Trey Anastasio Trio tour continues tomorrow as the band concludes their three-night run at the Civic Theatre. For a full list of upcoming Trey Trio dates, head to Anastasio’s website. Below, you can see pro-shot videos of the first and second set openers from the Trey Anastasio Trio show in New Orleans, as well as a gallery of photos from the show via photographer Matthew Rea. Load remaining images Photo: Matt Reacenter_img Setlist: Trey Anastasio Trio | Civic Theatre | New Orleans, LA | 12/27/18I: Blaze On, Corona, Greyhound Rising, Every Story Ends In Stone, 46 Days, Tide Turns, AlaskaII: Burlap Sack and Pumps, Twist, Simple Twist Up Dave, Miss You, Alive Again, Farmhouse, JuliusE: Waste, Mozambique, Clint EastwoodTrey Anastasio Trio | Civic Theatre | New Orleans, LA | 12/27/18 | Photos: Matt Realast_img read more

The Disco Biscuits Deliver Explosive Performance On Night One In Denver [Photos/Full Video]

first_imgOn Thursday, The Disco Biscuits opened up their annual Bisco Inferno run with the first of two shows at Denver, CO’s Ogden Theatre.The Disco Biscuits Announce THC Extract Collaboration With Colorado’s Green Dot LabsThe Disco Biscuits opened up their first set with fan-favorite “42”, which the band ultimately ended up leaving open-ended and dove back into to close out their second set. “42” smoothly transitioned into an inverted rendition of “Aquatic Ape”, followed by “King Of The World” sandwiched in between a massive “Astronaut” to close out the first set.Following a brief setbreak, the band returned to open their second set with “Mindless Dribble” before launching into the old-school “Vassillios”. With the band firing off on all cylinders, The Biscuits charged forward with a seamless segue of  “Spacebirdmatingcall”, “Voices Insane”, and an inverted “Miracles”, before crashing back into “42” to properly finish the song and close out their second set. The band delivered a lone encore of “Portal To An Empty Head”, marking the song’s first performance of the year.Luckily for fans unable to attend, there’s full-show pro-shot video from Thursday’s show, which you can watch below:The Disco Biscuits – Ogden Theatre – 5/23/2019[Video: The Disco Biscuits]The Disco Biscuits return to Denver’s Ogden Theatre tonight, Friday, May 24th before heading to Morrison, CO’s Red Rocks Amphitheatre on Saturday, May 25th for their headlining blowout with PNUMA Live.For ticketing, a full list of the band’s upcoming tour dates, and more information, head to The Disco Biscuits’ website.You can check out a full gallery of photos from the show below courtesy of photographer Dave Vann.Setlist: The Disco Biscuits | Ogden Theatre | Denver, CO | 4/23/2019Set One: 42-> Aquatic Ape (inverted)-> Astronaut-> King of the World-> AstronautSet Two: Mindless Dribble-> Vassillios-> Spacebirdmatingcall-> Voices Insane-> Miracles (inverted)-> 42Encore: Portal to an Empty HeadThe Disco Biscuits | The Ogden | Denver, CO | 5/23/19 | Photos: Dave Vann Photo: Dave Vann via The Disco Biscuits Photo: Dave Vanncenter_img Load remaining imageslast_img read more